Access the full demonstrator in the Inspiring Science Education website. You can also download the PDFon website:
In this exercise students use the Down2Earth Impact Calculator to investigate what happens when an asteroid or comet hits the Earth. Through the investigation, students become acquainted with kinetic energy and frequency of impacts from space while also practising making graphs.
1-2 hours (but can be extended).
– To learn about impacts from space.
– To learn how to draw conclusions from simulated data via graphs/tables
– To understand the importance of cooperation in Astronomy and science in general.
– To understand what the effects of an asteroid or comet impact with Earth would be.
– To understand the difficulties in mitigating an impact with the Earth.
– To understand the importance of technology’s evolution in science.
– To be able to use mathematical formulae/equations, and plot graphs.