Access the full demonstrator in the Inspiring Science Education website:
In this exercise, students find a comet that’s visible in the night sky and take images of it using the LCO robotic telescopes. Through the investigation, students become acquainted with observing, planning observations and interpreting astronomical images.
2-3 school hours.
– To learn about our Solar System and comets specifically.
– To learn about robotic telescopes.
– To learn about the night sky.
– To understand how different objects are visible at different times of the night/year from specific locations.
– To understand how robotic telescopes work.
– To understand what comets are and how they are observed on Earth.
– To understand what astronomical images show.
– To be able to use specific software to plan observing sessions on robotic telescopes.
– To be able to use robotic telescopes to observe specific objects.
– To be able to identify comets in astronomical images.